I have been unwrapping the Rights and Responsibilities central idea from a PE perspective, focusing on what the students responsibilities are in regards to PE class, but also what their rights are. The kids have come up with some great ideas. As I unwrap the central idea from scratch with each grade 2 class, some of the ideas generated are different, however the reoccurring student ideas when looking at rights and responsibilities has been:
The students are responsible for:
- Wearing proper PE shoes
- Wearing proper PE clothes
- Bringing a water bottle
- Listening to their PE teacher and peers in class
- Communicating their thoughts and ideas
- Using their eyes when moving around the gym to ensure safety
- Working as a team
- Trying their best
- Come to school
- Feel cared for
- Feel safe
- Be listened to
- Communicate their thoughts and ideas
- Participate in games and activities
- Be treated with respect by their teacher and peers
As the focus of the adventure challenge unit is solving problems and completing challenges, working on teams and communicating are absolute keys to being successful.
I have planned at least 10-12 challenging tasks that they will take part in over the next few weeks and have highlighted Communication, Trust, and an Open Mind as being the most important assessment criteria during the unit.
I have added pictures below of the formative assessment tasks that I will be using during this unit. Please have a look. A brief description is also included.