7 easy steps to celebrating student success in PE
The Learner Profile
The PYP Attitudes
Whenever possible I try my best to recognize when my students authentically display any of these skills in PE. I observe closely and when I do see that a student is genuinely putting into practice any of the learner profile attributes or the PYP attitudes, I follow 7 easy steps to help celebrate their success.
1. Discuss with the student why I am giving them this recognition.
2. Take a photo as soon as possible of the student in action.
3. Create a recognition poster after the class.
4. Give the poster to the classroom teacher so that they can show the class and have a quick discussion about why the student is being recognized.
5. Send a copy of the poster to the student's parents by email to keep them informed.
6. Once the poster is returned back to me from classroom teacher, I put it up on my PYP PE display board in the main hallway of our school.
7. The poster is usually up for a couple of weeks before being taken down and filed away in the student's Sportfolio.
Keeping Students Motivated
I believe that recognizing and celebrating student success in this way works to truly motivate and inspire them to be the best that they can be in PE. I have used this strategy for years but continue to refine the process to make it more meaningful to my students. I love seeing how proud they are when getting this recognition. It always makes my day! Thanks for reading.