As a pre-assessment activity, I am going to have the students inquire into how Newton’s Laws apply to throwing. The lesson plan is as follows:
- Students will watch short video showing different types of throws in sports/athletics.
- Discuss the various throwing styles and their similarities and differences.
- Introduce worksheet and explain expectations
- Divide students on to equal teams
- Taking turns, the students will throw and record 3 results for each throwing object (big swiss ball, basketball, tennis ball, and rubber dot)
- In their groups, they will discuss Newton’s 3 Laws as they have already learned these laws in their unit of inquiry. They must discuss which of these laws applies the most to throwing and write down their reasons why on the worksheet provided.
I took a picture of the Newton’s Laws poster located on the wall in their classroom and included it on the worksheet to help prompt their thinking. There is a small version of it on the front of the sheet where they will be recording data and a much larger version on the back that they can refer to when in group discussion.
The students will all throw object and collect at the same time (on ‘go’ command of teacher) to ensure safety.