I cannot count the number of times on Twitter that I have seen questions such as "If you could create your own teaching environment in PE, what would you do?" or "If the sky was the limit, how would you change your program?" etc.
I know that many educators are bound by the curriculums in which they teach. There are certain things that are non-negotiable, things that they must accomplish. I am here to tell you that although this is the case, you still have the power to imagine and create your ideal teaching environment and to shape very authentic and genuine learning in the programs in which you teach. Imagination is the fuel that powers creativity. Imagination is what gives us hope. Imagination is what allows us to visualize great things that we want to achieve in life.
So, please use the powers of imagination to push your teaching to new levels. Imagination requires us to think outside of the box and to do these things differently. If you want to create sustainable change in the way you teach, define exactly what these changes will look like. How can you flip your teaching and empower your students to take ownership over their learning. How can you better engage them? I promise that all of this is very possible while still adhering to the curriculum requirements of your program and your school. Take a risk and do something different. Not only will it kick start your creative juices, you will feel new sparks of motivation. I live this approach every day and it's what keeps me going! Trust me, it works. Thanks for reading.
Andy Vasily- Workshop leader, presenter, consultant and PYP PE teacher. Love what I do!
- PYP PE Blog
- Run Your Life Podcast Series
- Consulting and Workshop Opportunities
- How PYP PE with Andy Has Helped Others
- Good Teaching is L.I.F.E
- The Sportfolio
- Example Assessment Tasks
- An Example PYP PE Planner
- PE Teacher Forum: Connecting With Other Good Practitioners
- PYP Attitude Posters (printable)
- Bringing the Learner Profile to Life in PE
- 2015 National PE Institute
- The Transdisciplinary Skills
- Gurian Institute
- Fountainhead International School PE Workshop Page
- Greenfield Community School Inquiry and Assessment Workshop
- Maths Integration and PE
- Examples of Integration
- My Family
- The Learning Journey Made Visible
- A Glimpse Into How I Teach
- Consulting/Workshop Opportunities
Helping Kids to Achieve Their Best