Although my grade 2 students began a stand alone unit in Net Games last week, I am still very much in the pre-assessment phase of the unit with them. I have roughly 7-9 hours (6 weeks) for the students to inquire into what net games are, but at this point of the unit, the key concept I am focusing on is ‘Connection’. I am trying to create as many authentic opportunities as possible for the students to inquire into how net games are connected. In order to do this, I set up three different stations; badminton, tennis, and table tennis (ping pong) in today’s lesson.
The students were instructed to explore with the equipment at each station, firstly on their own and then with a partner. Provided they were sensible and careful, I allowed them to essentially do as they wish with the equipment. They were allowed ten minutes at each station before moving on, but as they moved through the stations, they were encouraged to have discussions with their peers regarding the similarities and differences at each station. Once the students had rotated through all three stations, we met as a group to discuss and write down their ideas on the Venn diagram type chart that you can see below in the picture.
They came up with some great ideas (see below in picture) and by the end of the class, I was able to ascertain that most of the students were not only able to grasp the the connection between these net games, but were able to identify key similarities. I will move on to grip, stance, and more specific technical aspects of these games over the next couple of classes making further connections as we go. I think that we are off to a great start so far.
Andy Vasily- Workshop leader, presenter, consultant and PYP PE teacher. Love what I do!
- PYP PE Blog
- Run Your Life Podcast Series
- Consulting and Workshop Opportunities
- How PYP PE with Andy Has Helped Others
- Good Teaching is L.I.F.E
- The Sportfolio
- Example Assessment Tasks
- An Example PYP PE Planner
- PE Teacher Forum: Connecting With Other Good Practitioners
- PYP Attitude Posters (printable)
- Bringing the Learner Profile to Life in PE
- 2015 National PE Institute
- The Transdisciplinary Skills
- Gurian Institute
- Fountainhead International School PE Workshop Page
- Greenfield Community School Inquiry and Assessment Workshop
- Maths Integration and PE
- Examples of Integration
- My Family
- The Learning Journey Made Visible
- A Glimpse Into How I Teach
- Consulting/Workshop Opportunities